Hi, I’m Randy Karels.
I’m a software engineer
Full-stack Web Development
I like happy teams, web standards, clean code, and uncluttered layouts. My experience includes:
- Python3 (asyncio, Tornado)
- MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Microservices and docker
- Version control (git) and CI tooling
Data Analysis & Information Design
I create clear, compelling reports and graphics that solve people’s problems. I am proficient at querying databases and transforming raw data into useable data. I am comfortable designing for the boardroom, printed materials, web sites, or simple pdfs and spreadsheets.
- Python (in general and Pandas, iPython specifically) and various statistical packages (R, ggplot, plyr)
- Writing and optimizing SQL queries (databases include PostgreSQL, SQLite, MySQL, Access)
- Accessing raw data in databases, text files, Excel, HTML, and APIs; and parsing, cleaning, and transforming it into a usable state
- Modeling data in code and databases
- Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, Powerpoint)
- ESRI ArcGIS
BuzzFeed, Senior Software Engineer 2016-Present
BuzzFeed is a digital media powerhouse. I’m part of the Minneapolis office, focused on full-stack web development with a dash of big-data analytics.
- Built and maintained APIs at scale to support Tasty and our mobile apps.
- Helped build and maintain internal A/B Testing tools for BuzzFeed
- Lead team to port internal A/B Testing UI to React/Redux
- Co-lead weekly engineering Tech Talks
SparkFun Electronics, Senior Data Developer 2011-2016
SparkFun designs, manufactures, and sells DIY electronics. We are the leader in our market, selling over $30 million of products yearly to customers around the world. My projects range from spreadsheets to high-polish printed reports to full stack web-based dashboards. I rely on both internal databases and external APIs that feed into a library of queries I’ve developed. My responsibilities include:
- Close partner to leadership on strategic and operational initiatives
- Creating a suite of financial, business intelligence, and inventory reports
- Building a robust demand and supply chain management framework
- Working across the company to address disruptive inventory issues
- Building various sales and business intelligence reports on our intranet
- Being a key contributor to passing our annual financial audits
Web Designer & Programmer—Freelance 2006-2016
Data Analyst & Programmer—Freelance 2003–2010
Primarily, I created strategic reports for the executive leadership of a large academic physician group. I was also tapped as project manager for internal process improvements, such as increasing access for community physicians and improving the accuracy and usability of the electronic medical records system.
Yosemite N.P.—Lead Wilderness Park Ranger 2002–2005
Conducted wilderness patrols in the backcountry of Yosemite National Park and educated park visitors at the permit station. Completed a geo-spatial analysis of wilderness use patterns and a detailed audit of the bear canister food storage program.
Eley Associates—Energy Engineer 2000–2002
I managed daily operations for the Collaborative for High Performance Schools (a non-profit helping school districts improve the energy efficiency, indoor air quality, and sustainability of their buildings). I co-developed a system of market-leading sustainable design criteria currently used throughout California, co-edited and contributed to the 500 page Best Practices Manual, and created marketing and training materials.
Deloitte Consulting—Business Analyst 1998–1999
I specialized in demographic and market research, database analysis, and deliverable creation in high stress environments. My primary industry areas were health care and telecom.